Guest Post ~ Budapest And The Angry Metro Man...

By Lucy Harbron - 18:00



Arriving in Budapest with my best friend was something that I always had an inkling I would do, however Budapest – I was never too sure. The only time I had ever heard of Budapest, was the George Ezra track – it isn't the most known first holiday destination, probably two young girls would travel to Amsterdam, Malia, Zante or Ibiza.
  Personally, I am not that much of a party animal, honestly I could not think of anything worse that drinking blue slush from a bucket in a sticky, hot and sweaty room full of buzz cut walnut whip haircuts, and the dreaded vest top that is too long at the sides and shows off the ribs of any eighteen year old boy. So, we decided on Budapest. The landlocked country in the middle of Eastern Europe – no beach in site but accompanied by architecturally stunning buildings.
  We had planned a lot of our holiday around the famous (kinda) ruined bars, a tenfold version of bars in the middle of Brick Lane or Hoxton. With the multiple decrepit rooms, with old-moth eaten rugs, tellies hanging from the ceiling playing the visions of someone who had taken way too much MDMA. With the trees growing through the middle of the bars, and the bustling metropolis of inter-railers the bars were idiosyncratic. After rumbling the cobbled back streets of Budapest, we managed to find the bar Szimpla Kert – we entered into it with high hopes and they were met. The distant rumble of the Hungarian bass bands and a bar-waitress holding a bowl of peeled carrots and handing them out the finders – it was weird and unique and that is why I fell in love with it.
  Another great thing about the trip was paying a mere 800HUF (£2) to walk up to a rooftop to watch a French film with as much free salted popcorn as you wanted. Watching the sunset lower behind the Parisian – apparently – skyline at the Corvinteto and waiting for the film to start. Stocked up with salted popcorn, Coco Cola in a bottle and the sunset down behind the clouds, the film played The Untouchables, however a French film promised with English subtitles didn't happen, the English didn’t happen – Hungarian subtitles happened. However, with the introduction of steak chips and fake laughter, pretending to know what the film was actually talking about – it was one of the best nights of the holiday.
  When you travel to Budapest make sure that you have the money to keep buying metro tickets, don’t get sucked into the Budapest Card as it is far cheaper to buy 72hr metro tickets from the machines – if they decided to work for you. Hungary is extremely strict with train, tram and bus tickets, so make sure that you get the tickets – and avoid at any cost having an argument with a scary Hungarian man who proceeds to fine you 8000HUF and shouting about taking you to the police station. BUY THE TICKETS.  
  I am an atheist, however I was always willing to look for something which might change that spirituality within me, perhaps waiting for that one part of religion that would gain my attention and kind of make me feel a tiny slight spiritual. Walking up a mountain to Gellért Hill Cave(Sziklatemplom) in 40 degree heat was never my cup of tea, to say the least. So we arrived, paying 500 HUF to gain entry. For myself, I have never believed that you should pay to go into a church – it’s a spiritual essence not a money making business (I think), due to the hot weather I was wearing a halter neck top – however I was asked to cover myself up with a cloth and to be silent. Ok, so I respect this and religion, at the end of the day who am I to judge? But initially I felt offended due to men being able to walk around the church with their backs and shoulders out, but my female anatomy offends those in the church. I mean, it was a beautiful Church; the stain glass windows were simply beautiful, although I couldn't concentrate due to the smelly cloth around my shoulders covering my “modesty”.
  I whole heartily believe that if you want to understand and feel part of a country you are visited, and then try their traditional food. Hungarian traditional food is focused around Paprika, Goulash and buttered noodles – Goulash is actually extremely satisfying, it is similar to a beef casserole but in soup form – it is great and please try it if you are there. However, do not order the buttered noodles thinking that they will be long thin noodles that you get with Thai food, they resemble mashed up noodles and mash potato together – try it, but be prepared for it.
   However, alike the obvious travel writers will preach – go to Heroes Square, walk to the top of Szt. Gellert hill and visit the Citadel, cross the Chain Bridge and visit the Opera house. However, I am not going to preach this – as much as they are stunning and sight-seeing opportunities – you will be surrounded by selfie sticks and ignorant tourists. Walking up a hill to me to see the statue in 40 degrees is not too fun.
   I did have a great time, luckily I went with my best friend so we could have a laugh about most of the things we saw, and we didn't feel the need to walk around to every monument because we were chilling out for the most. However, I would say don’t go for 7 nights – go for a shorter amount of time because it is a small city and once you've seen it, it becomes repetitive.

Find Daisy-Chain Scott-
Instagram- @brokensaffrons
Twitter- @rebeleffie

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Talk to me...